Friday, April 8, 2011

THE MASK OF HUMBABA

Sometimes I pick up books I haven't read in years and I flip through them to see if I feel like reading them again. Tonight I picked up "Amulets and Talismans" by Sir Wallis Budge.

While flipping through the book I came to a page with a small piece of paper inserted. The paper had the sigil of Humwawa from the Simonomicon. The paper was placed over the illustration of THE MASK OF HUMBABA. I remember now how I had placed the paper (as a teenager) thinking I would do more research on the Demon Humwawa/Humbaba and find out more about this mask.

So, being bored, I did an image search for "British Museum mask Humbaba" and found quite a few images that appear to be of the same mask. There's not much info on the mask really, but now I know what the mask actually looks like.



In a previous post, I gave the true form of Humwawa's sigil from the Necronomicon. Here is that sigil again. Does it look like the Mask of Humbaba? Yep, except it has whiskers. Look at the eyes in Budge's bad sketch and look at the following sigil. You will find Budge's Amulets and Talismans in the bibliography and selected reading list for Simon's Necronomicon.

1 comment:

TheSlime said...

Humbaba of Babylonian mythology was the guardian of the Cedar forest. He was killed by Gilgamesh and Enkidu.