Monday, January 12, 2009

Lectio: Shadow Kingdoms: The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard: Volume One

Recently I visited the Mall of America. Of course I stopped in the B&N to look around. They didn't have the second Hellgate London book so I found something else to read at the airport. Along with all the Conan books I found Shadow Kingdoms (The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard).

The back cover reads:
Shadow Kingdoms is the first volume of The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard, presenting all of Howard's work from the classic magazine Weird Tales, meticulously restored to its original texts. This volume begins with "Spear and Fang," Howard's first professional fiction sale, and concludes with "Red Thunder," a gripping sword & sorcery tale. Series characters present in this volume include King Kull and Solomon Kane.

Since I've only read a few of Robert E. Howard's stories, I paid for it and then headed to Game Stop.

Later that night I went to read "Spear and Fang" only to find it was nowhere in the book. Big "OOOPS!" for Cosmos Books. I just now checked the online reviews and it seems they omitted three stories from this collection. But it does have stories from Robert E. Howard and the couple I have read so far are satisfying and there's a greater chance that I'll pick up more of his works in the future (probably from a different publisher though).

No comments: