Monday, June 16, 2008

The Eating Habits of Centipedes

It's a quarter after 2AM and I just posted, but I thought I would write a little about the eating habits of the centipede I caught recently. Unlike the last large centipede I caught, this one didn't run itself to death. It is alive and well and dining quite nicely. I am feeding him fat, juicy crickets.

Anyway, this little beasty is mean! He wraps himself around the crickets with his sharp, mechanical legs and starts biting and tearing. I was watching him do this and realized he has a strategy. He pops the head off and pushes it aside. Then he munches away at all the squishy insides. Every now and then he removes a leg and places it to the side with the head. Man, what a gruesome site!

When I went to turn the container to see the parts better, the centipede reared-up about an inch in the air and raised the giant pointy things on its tail. I could imagine if this thing were bigger...

No comments: